CALL US FOR
CALL US FOR
Gutters protect houses from structural damage because of water leakage and flooding by diverting water away from the roof. Diverting water from the rooftops prevents structural damage and enhances its aesthetics. But what are the general maintenance tips to keep your gutters in perfect condition?
"Naturally experts advise cleaning your gutters in spring and fall. Spring brings warmer weather, which makes cleaning easier. Especially for those that live in cooler climates. Just after everything has thawed out, you should go up on that roof and start cleaning."
If every homeowner and every business owner knew the proper way to clean out their roof gutters, there would be fewer injuries and deaths and far less property damage. If the rainwater does not flow smoothly through the gutter and downspout system, it can cause rainwater damage which can cost a substantial amount of money.
Below are some practical tips on gutter cleaning.
There is no time like the present to clean out those blocked gutters, and to do it safely.
● Let's start with safety: If more homeowners knew the proper way to clean out their roof gutters, deaths and injuries could be reduced. Most injuries are avoidable.
● Get the best tools available:
● If the downspout is clogged, it needs to be unclogged: Run the water hose down the down spout full pressure after all the gutters have been cleaned out. If the water overflows from the top, a clog is present. Tap on the side to unclog it normally, but if that doesn't work, remove the and back. Then flush it from the bottom. If an underground drain connects the downspout to a clog, it is best to disconnect the underground drain bottom from the downspout. Otherwise, the clog can progress to the underground drain.
● Plan Semi-Annual Cleaning: Gutter cleaning should be performed at least twice a year: once in the fall and once in the spring. Cleaning your gutters is one way of ensuring your property is protected from potential water damage caused by rainwater run-off from a clogged gutter. Another reason is to reduce the chance of corrosion due to rust. During the summer, even though there may be no rain, if there is debris in the gutters, the corrosion process can speed up. The rusting process is slow when a gutter is clean. The more rust there is, the sooner you will need new gutters.
● Be Aware Of Power Line Hazards: When cleaning gutters around a power line cable that drops from the roof to the pole, have an electrician examine the connection where the cable meets the roof. These checks ensure that the protective wire insulation hasn't rubbed off due to weather and other nearby trees. Don't attempt to repair the cable if it appears damaged; instead, call a licensed electrician to fix it. If some electrical problem occurs while it is raining, do not attempt to clean out the gutters until the problem is fixed. Water conducts electricity well. It is advisable to have the electrical wiring repaired before cleaning out your gutters if it is raining or not.
● Invest in Gutter Guards: Installing a quality gutter guard minimizes the need for gutter cleaning. Before buying a gutter protection system that keeps out leaves and pine needles, carefully examine manufacturer's claims because many promises can't be met.